When one thinks of Urban Fashion, especially Urban Street Style, what comes into mind for a number of Nigerians is a wide sidewalk, a busy New York street, spotless streetlights in general we imagine The States, The United Kingdom and anywhere else not Nigeria. While, I don’t subscribe to this belief I must admit there are some Nigerians living in diaspora that definitely make me almost believe this. The likes of
1) Steven Onoja of stevenonoja.com
– Definitely one of the most well known menswear bloggers out there. Looking at Steven’s style you will realize that indeed Fashion is Art. He shows indeed that it’s all about self expression. Living in New York, where in his own words ‘Fashion reigns as King‘. His street style is one of ease, and fluid perfection.
2) Monica Awe-Etuk of awedbymonica.com
– How she does it, I have no idea but this woman can literally style anything, one of Atlanta’s most influential blogger. Having being featured on big shots, like In Style, Vanity Fair etc, she has a way of wearing long length gowns without them looking like a repetition, or even looking familiar.
3) Igee Okafor of igeeokafor.com
Have you heard ‘you aren’t fully dressed without a smile?’ Well then, Igee is always fully dressed. With his dapper sense of style and the perfect Urban environs of New York, Igee’s blog is always bursting with picture perfect shots. Igee’s outfits are always perfect with a well-rounded Urban Gentleman aura. The student of St Johns University has definitely carved a name for himself in a relatively short time since he started his blog and has built a brand with a reputation that precedes itself.
4) Christian Thompson of Christianconfidential.com
Christian is the perfect male Urban Fashionista, with his distressed jeans, jackets, and over-sized outfits. He has a soft spot for neutral tones, both in his outfits and his background which makes his Instagram feed as cohesive as they come. Christian’s regular collaboration with amazing brands gives his readers perfect value for their time, his love for pop culture and good conversations can be seen in his awesomely curated blog.
5) Toluwalade Toyin- Kehinde of toyinwithfashion.com.
Fashion and Lifestyle blogger Toluwalade more popularly known as Lade is definitely a personal favorite. The Petite model is also a medical student studying in Manila, Philippines though she currently is in Lagos, Nigeria for the Christmas holidays, she mostly stays in the Philippines and her sense of comfortable and feminine fashion sense is something to just awe at.
We Nigerians definitely have a sense of pride in pointing out amazing people to say ‘Hey, we can be amazing too’, it’s in times like this that we say ‘Anywhere, they go they are still Nigerians’ let’s just say our sense of National pride is really something.
If you enjoyed reading this, please share using the social media buttons below, thanks in advance! 🙂
Author: Vincent Desmond
Vincent Desmond is a TLM Contributor.
He spends 30% of his time in a dimension of perfect pop-culture and urban fashion, 20% on social media, 10% asleep and the rest of his time being a student of Linguistics and Communications at the University of Port Harcourt, writing bits and pieces of his life on his lifestyle blog – http://quirksandoutfits.wordpress.com – trying to live life to the fullest and ticking off dreams one after the other.